Thursday, May 15, 2014

Tuck-Me-In Talks with Your Little Ones

As a reviewer for Christian Children's Book Review, I have the opportunity to read many wonderful books with my children. Some have even become personal favorites. Tuck-Me-In Talks with Your Little Ones by Grace Fox is one that I will cherish for a long time to come.

It is a pocket sized book filled with hours of wonderful conversations for you and your little ones. Many times mothers will talk to each other about this conversation they had with their child or how they had just talked about that with their munchkin and some moms are left wondering, "Where do I even begin? I don't know how to talk to my little one or how to start a conversation with them."

This book is definitely the answer for that.

In the evening, after we have read from our children's Bible, we read one page, which has a mix of three to four questions and conversation starter statements, and I let my children (2.5 and 6 years old) talk. Questions like "What is your favorite ice cream flavor?" and "What's the best part about Christmas?" let you know what your child's opinion is about simple things that can get overlooked as we are running around keeping up with our schedules.

Other questions like "How is ice cream made?" and "Why are fire engines red?" can lead into a time of exploration. We have pulled out our tablet many times to find out the hows or whys.

Some statements such as "Tell me about a time you were not patient," cause children to think about their own interaction with others and creates a perfect teaching time for parents to address certain behaviors before they an issue.

What I Like: I absolutely love that my children ask for this book as we are getting ready for bed. They enjoy the just-us time it creates, and I love the interactions we have because of this book.

What I Dislike: I wish the cover were harder. With as much as we as a family use this book, the cover is beginning to show wear.

Overall Rating: Excellent

Age Appeal: Toddler- early elementary aged children

Publisher Info: Harvest House Publishers, 2014; ISBN: 978-0-7369-5640-6 ; paperback, 112 pgs., $5.99


Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $5.49


OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $5.39




No comments: