Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Sheep That No One Could Find

The Sheep That No One Could Find by Anthony DeStefano is a charming recreation of the biblical parable of the Good Shepherd and the lost sheep.

The story follows the little lamb as he makes one wrong choice to leave the Shepherd and the consequences that follow.

The book is written as a lyrical poem, but is quite easy for children to understand and take to heart. As I read the lines, "But one of the sheep decided one day the words of the Shepherd were hard to obey. Instead he decided to do things his way," my six year old looked at me and thoughtfully said, "This book sounds like it is for me."

I realize that the Bible does not actually tell us what happened to the little lamb as he wandered away from the Shepherd. The parable is designed to show us the love that Jesus has for each and everyone of us individually. This book, however, does a fantastic job of showing children that when we choose to disobey or runaway from our authority, we will find ourselves in situations that could lead to sorrow, injury, and danger.


What I Like: Illustrations are so important in books designed for little eyes. Smaller children cannot read, so to keep them engaged, these books need great illustrations. Illustrator Richard Cowdrey, a New York Times Bestselling Artist, does a fantastic job filling the pages with color and pictures to bring the story to life for little (and big) eyes. My two and a half year old stayed engaged with the story the entire time because he was so mesmerized by the illustrations and talked about them throughout my reading of the story.

What I Dislike: I loved this book.

Overall Rating: Excellent

Age Appeal: 2-8-year-olds

Publisher Info: Harvest House Publishers, 2014; ISBN: 978-0-7369-5611-6 ; hardcover, 32 pgs., $14.99


Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $7.99

OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $12.78

No comments: