Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Mama, I Want to See God


Mama, I Want to See God, written by Vanessa Fortenberry, is a heart-warming response to the questions kids ask about God and things they want to know about Him. For instance:

“Mama, can I talk to God?
Will He hear my prayers?”
“God is a great listener.
He loves you and He cares.”

The author provides two biblical references for the book. The first one, in the front of  the book, is 1 John 4:12 (NIV): “No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us.” The second one, in the back of the book, is Matthew 5:8 (NIV): “Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.”

The painted illustrations by Leah Jennings are bold and expressive.

The message is simple: We can’t see God or talk to Him face-to-face, but we can see His handiwork all around us, and we can know He is there and that He loves us.

What I Like: I love the multi-cultural angle of the illustrations. This isn't just one mother’s response to one child’s questions; rather, it is a universal guide for all people.

I also like the range of questions addressed in the book.

What I Dislike: The book is written in rhyme. For the most part, it’s done well, but there are a few places where the rhythm is a bit off.

Overall Rating: Very good.

Age Appeal: 4-8.

Publisher Info: BQB Publishing, 2014; ISBN: 9781939371324; Paperback, $12.95.

 
Special Info: Visit the author’s website [http://vanessafortenberry.com/Home.php].



No comments: