Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet

A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet: Southern Stories of Faith, Family, and Fifteen Pounds of Bacon by Sophie Hudson is a sweet book of wholesome memories about faith and family. It is truly one of those books that is perfect for curling up on the front porch on a summer evening with a glass of Southern iced tea. Rather than turning on the TV for some entertainment, let Sophie entertain you with her tales of family and friends.

This book is really about entertaining the reader but sharing faith in the process. Honestly, sometimes we read so many books that are designed to "teach" us something, we forget how much pleasure there is in simply reading for the sake of reading a good story. This book is a great book just to relax with.

Each chapter covers a completely different story of life. One of my favorites was the chapter describing how her father watched television. It sounded a lot like my own dad.

Every family has their own stories, unique set of characters, and quirks that it is important for us to remember and pass down to our children and grandchildren. Sophie Hudson has done such a wonderful job of this. By the time you are done reading A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet, Daddy, Mama, Sister, Brother, David, and the whole host of wonderful people you have read about will become as much a part of your family as the people living within your four walls.

What I Like: Something that I particularly enjoyed about this book was the author's way of making me feel as though she was sitting with me telling me the story herself. I could hear her Southern accent and hear the laughter in her voice as she retold these stories.

What I Dislike: I did not dislike this book, but I do think it is worth noting that this book is more for older girls who enjoy reading about the simple times and lives of others. I would recommend this book for girls in their late teens or their moms who want to read something entertaining.

Overall Rating: Very Good

Age Appeal: 16+ years old

Publisher Info: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. , 2013; ISBN: 978-1-4143-7566-3 ; paperback, 225 pgs., $14.99


Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $11.49

OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $9.99

 

No comments: