Thursday, September 15, 2011

Our Kids Review: The Case of the Missing Mountain

Since my ten-year-old daughter spent a lot of time in the car this summer working on this book, I thought I'd let her review it. She loves reading, writing plays, training animals, and helping people.

Do you want to solve cases of. . . a volcano that vanished? Ice and snow that exploded? A cliff full of secrets? A menacing mudslinger? A forest that floats? Canyon carvers? A green scene machine? And a bonus. . . finding the real treasure? You can do it all in this exciting activity book that's great for the car and makes you think. In The Case of the Missing Mountain, you discover how natural formations could have changed so quickly after Noah's flood.

In the book, Kim Jones teaches you some scientists' theories are wrong. She uses colored pictures and cartoon rangers to help you. Plot Spoiler Ahead: (Don't read if you want to solve mystery Number 5 on your own!) For example, the 20 different layers of trees in Yellowstone National Park were thought to be from 20 different forests, that existed at different times. They teach you that this could be caused by how fast things came back after Noah's flood. (Mom's Note: Jones uses clues from the eruption of Mount Saint Helen to show the layers could have been caused by mudflows carrying forests different places to be buried.)

There are different codes, mazes and crossword puzzles to solve. At the back of the book, there are fun jokes and missions (projects). There's also a website, where you can get prizes if you complete certain things (seven mysteries, two missions, and two "Rockin' Ranger Activities").

What I Like: I like how it teaches modern science and has activities to do.

What I Dislike: I don't like how you have to keep turning back to different pages to remember what the codes are.

Overall Rating: Very Good

Age Appeal: 8-12

Publisher Info: Master Books, 2011; ISBN: 978-0-89051-593-8; Paperback, 80 pages, $14.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $11.99

OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $11.69.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Kim said...

LOVE this review! Thanks so much for taking the time to review "The Case of the Missing Mountain!" I'm really glad you liked it and had fun with it!

I am just now seeing this review or I would have shared it sooner. I am tweeting it out tomorrow.

I also appreciate your comment about looking back at the codes. I'll have to work on that - as I am getting ready to write another book!

Thanks so much for you comments! Very much appreciated!

Kim Jones (:

Erin said...

Hi Kim,

I shared your comment with my daughter, and she says, "Thanks for your comment. I am glad you liked my review. I will be interested to learn more about your new book!"

Thanks for reading CCBR. Happy writing! Erin (and daughter : ) )