Thursday, October 9, 2008

Gifts From God


Cynthia Reeg and Mary Sue Roberts' Gifts From God is a lovely little reminder of Bible verses and blessings, designed for young children.

Each page of this volume is lavishly illustrated with color photographs of children playing and enjoying nature. The text is simple. The book begins: "God smiles at me. God laughs with me. God sings for me." And so on. Most importantly, children learn God can work through them, that he lives inside them, and that he gives us good things. On the opposite side of each page, there is a Bible verse somehow relating to the accompanying text or photograph. Its a simple concept, but one that is perfect for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.

What I Like: The photographs are lovely, even though the print quality of the book isn't of the quality you'd find with a well-known publisher. The text is simple and straightforward, and I always appreciate the addition of Bible verses.

What I Dislike: Because of the placement of the Bible verses, this book can read a bit choppy. I suggest reading it without the Bible verses in one sitting, and with the Bible verses, but not the text, the next time. Also, the book isn't especially well focused; it just seems to end suddenly. Yet even so, many young children will enjoy it.

Overall Rating: Good.

Age Appeal: According to the publisher 4 - 8, but I think it will appeal most to the 0 - 4 crowd.

Publisher Info: Guardian Angel Publishing, 2007; ISBN: 1933090332; paperback; $10.95

Buy it Now from Amazon.com for $10.95

Special Info: Check out author Cynthia Reeg's website for puzzles, games, information for parents, and a book trailer for Gifts From God.

2 comments:

Polly and Meek said...

Thank you all for creating such a lovely blog! I will be sure to pass it along to everyone that I know and you can count on my support when I shop at amazon. I see quite a few books that I'd like to order for my neices and nephew.

Thanks and God Bless.

Tamika (Meek)

Tanya said...

Tamika: Thank you SO much for your support! We really appreciate your kind words and especially your willingness to spread the word. :)