Thursday, July 10, 2008

First Prayers

The first thing that will strike you when you pick up First Prayers, illustrated by Caldecott Honor winner Tasha Tudor, is the size of the book. It will fit perfectly in a little child's hand. My daughter reached for this book right away when she saw it nestled among the other books in our library bag.

Tasha Tudor's typical watercolor style is featured in this small book, full of prayers for various occasions. These are beloved prayers, some more familiar then others.


I liked this one taken from an old New England sampler:

"God bless all those that I love;

God bless all those that love me;

God bless all those that love those that I love,

And all those that love those that love me."


What I Like: The size of this book, and the illustrations of course!


What I Dislike: I don't dislike anything about this book.


Overall Rating: Excellent


Age Appeal: 4-8, but my almost two year old loves it


Publisher Info: Random House, 1998; ISBN:0679887865; Hardback, $6.99.






Special Info: You may enjoy reading the illustrator's website.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhh, this book looks precious!! I love finding and sharing books for children that other children like.

My favorite is "This Bible Talks!" by Pamela Fischer. Narrated by Michael David McGuire. It has beautiful Illustrations by Jenny Fischer & Nicole Armitage. It is a book for pre-readers - kindergarten -1st grade.

It is really a beautiful book, so I thought I would share...

If you want it, this website has a place where you can look and hear the recordings. I was able to order the book on this website.
http://www.thisbibletalks.com

Thanks again for the review!

Beverly said...

Rachael, thanks for sharing!