Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jesus Loves Me

This Jesus Loves Me is part of the Cuddle and Sing collection by Debby Anderson. It gives the familiar Sunday School song, but adds some new verses (rhyming, of course) that follow children throughout their daily activities. As a special feature, the back cover has a “Faith Parenting Guide” with simple ideas to help parents reinforce the lesson of the book and encourages ways to show God we love Him.

The illustrations (also by Debby Anderson) are sweet, colorful and playful. Consistent with this author's work, they feature children of several ethnicities.

What I Like: This is just a sweet book. Ms. Anderson always has adorable illustrations! I love her emphasis on diversity. Also, this book is a perfect take-along size. It's small enough to fit in your purse or diaper bad and sturdy enough to withstand the love of an infant or toddler.

What I Dislike: Some verses seem forced in rhythm or rhyme. Also, this may be me being nitpicky, but ... On one page the text reads: “Jesus loves me as I dress, and I try to do my best. Upside down and inside out, sometimes clothes can make me pout.” We’ve taught our children they always have a choice. They can obey and do what’s right or they can disobey and do what’s wrong. The wording here subtly contradicts our teaching. The clothes (or circumstances or whatever) don’t make a child pout; a child chooses to pout when they misdirect their frustrations.

Overall Rating: Good.

Age Appeal: 0-3

Publisher Info: David C. Cook, 1998; ISBN: 0781430755; Boardbook; $4.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $3.99!
Or Buy it from Amazon.com for $4.99.

Special Info: Jesus is pictured on first page hugging children and smiling. See our reviews of other books by this author.

No comments: