Saturday, March 17, 2012

I Imagine: A Child's Book of Prayers

Parents looking for a simple yet profound story centered on prayer will enjoy I Imagine: A Child’s Book of Prayers, by Rachel Rivett. The first page contains the largest amount of text, and lays the groundwork for the rest of the book. It encourages the reader to open up their senses, look carefully the surrounding world, and see God’s wisdom.

Then, page by page, children from various ethnic backgrounds thank God for things in nature that help them cope with life’s challenges. For example, one prayer says, “O Lord, if things are hard, I imagine I’m a river and you help me flow quick and clean around the rocks that block my path.” Each two-page spread holds only a few lines of text, which are almost musical in nature. Many of the words dance and curl across the page.

The collage-like illustrations, done by Mique Moriuchi, are a charming fit. The muted colors are warm and inviting. They hold enough gentle detail to keep readers entertained. The artwork reminds me of the illustrations in another CCBR reviewed book Images of God for Young Children and books written by mainstream author/artist Taro Gomi.

What I Like: I love the look and feel of the book. The prose is thought provoking.

What I Dislike: This is minor, but I would have liked the inclusion of a Scripture verse. The words read almost like a Psalm…why not include one?

Overall Rating: Excellent

Age Appeal: Ages 3-7

Publisher Info: Kregel, 2011; ISBN:978-0745962085; Hardcover, 32 pgs., $12.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $9.99.
OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $12.99.

Special Info: Read a CCBR review of another book by Rivett called Are You Sad, Little Bear?: A Book About Learning to Say Goodbye. Visit the illustrator's website.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: