While each chapter focuses on a different element of style -- clothes, hair, accessories, skin care, etc. -- every chapter maintains a consistent format.
- A Bible verse introduces a short fictional story (2-4 pages).
- "What Do You Think?" encourages readers to interact with the stories by answering specific questions in the provided space.
- Sidebars offer style tips, encouraging Bible verses and "Did You Know?" facts.
- "Ask Kelsey" features Q&A.
- "What Does the Bible Say" quotes several relevant Scripture passages for meditation.
- "Letters to God" offers a written prayer from one of the story's characters and a prompt for readers to write their own.
What I Like: This book is great. It's thorough and written at an age-appropriate level. Both the content and design -- which is peppered with simple illustrations by Anita DuFalla -- appeal to the target audience. The activities are highly varied and creative. I was quite impressed. And the Scriptural emphasis pervades every chapter. I love that!
What I Dislike: The coin purse that accompanied the book broke within minutes of reaching my seven-and-a-half-year-old's hands. It's a novelty and a cute sales ploy, but the poor quality definitely disappointed me and my daughter.
As for the book itself, there's not much to dislike! A few of the verses don't quite match the stories and seem a bit out of context, but overall I think this is a great resource, albeit far from timeless. Styles change so very quickly, I wonder if and when updated editions will be planned.
Overall Rating: Very Good.
Age Appeal: 8-12
Publisher Info: Legacy Press, 2010; ISBN: 1584110902; Paperback; 192 pages; $9.99
Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $8.19!