Wednesday, September 30, 2009

When I'm a Mommy

When I'm a Mommy: A Little Girl's Paraphrase of Proverbs 31 was written and illustrated by Ginger Adair Fulton. In it a little girl dreams of becoming a mommy one day. She wants to be the very best mommy ever and so she studies God's Word to learn how. The pages that follow provide verses from Proverbs 31 (quoted in the King James Version) and the girl's interpretation of what that means.

The illustrations offer simple black and white line drawings. They feature a young girl as she goes about her work, pretending to be a mommy to her dog and cat.

What I Like: My daughter really liked this book. The illustrations are nice, and the text is sweet. I like that the author emphasizes a need to seek God's wisdom throughout the book. She does a good job translating what Proverbs encouraging into what that may look like today. For example, "... she bringeth her food from afar." (v. 14) becomes "I may have to shop all over town to find the right kinds of food and good prices." It's cute!

What I Dislike: I wish the illustrations were colored, but this really isn't a big deal. In fact it could be an asset. Parents could make this an interactive book by encouraging their daughters to color the picture as they study the verse on that page.

The only concern I have with this book is that it might become a source of pride for some girls. If they're mamas don't garden or sew their own clothes or make extra money in their "free time," some might judge them haughtily, believing them to be out of line with God's Word. Or the opposite may be true: girls may feel they or their mothers never measure up to God's expectations because they simply can't do everything. I wish the author had mentioned something about God's grace for those who don't quite do it all perfectly.

Overall Rating: Very Good.

Age Appeal: 4-8

Publisher Info: Zeezok Publishing, 2005; ISBN: 0974650587; Paperback; $4.95

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $4.49!


Special Info: See the boy's counterpart to this book: When I'm a Daddy.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: