Friday, September 11, 2009

My Big Sticker Book: Old Testament and New Testament

There's something about stickers that almost every kid loves, which is why My Big Bible Sticker Book: Old Testament and My Big Bible Sticker Book: New Testament are such fun ways to learn a bit about the Bible, plus basic education like numbers and colors.

Both books are structured almost the same, although they cover two different books of the Bible. You'll find sections on "Letters of the Bible," "Animals of the Bible," "Travel in the Bible," "Colors of the Bible," "People of the Bible," "Food of the Bible," "Numbers of the Bible," and "Shapes of the Bible."

In the letters section, for example, there are stickers for the actual letter, plus whatever the book associates with the letter via a Bible verse. The letter "C" in the New Testament book, for example, has a drawing of Jesus with children and cites Matthew 19:14 ("Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me...'").

Throughout, the stickers are attractive. Most are photographs, but some are drawings. Some show historically accurate items (like Roman chariots or wine flasks), while others show modern items (like modern day American coins, when mentioning the widow who searched for her lost coin).

What I Like: My preschooler loves these books, and would spend all day working on them if I'd let her. I do not use them to teach things like counting or letters, or even Bible stories, but they are a fun way to reinforce things she's learned elsewhere. I also appreciate that the stickers are easy to move if your child accidentally sticks them in the wrong location. Once complete, each book makes a nice picture book for "keeps."

What I Dislike:
Nothing, really, although at times better biblical quotes could be used. For example, in reviewing shapes in the New Testament book, the publisher cites a Bible verse about mirrors, then includes one sticker of an oval mirror, along with some stickers of ordinary ovals. I'd rather they just not include the shape in the book if they can't relate it more directly to something in the Bible.

Overall Rating: Very Good.

Age Appeal: According to the publisher, 4 - 8, but I'd say preschool to kindergarten.

Publishing Info: Thomas Nelson, 2006 & 2007; ISBN: 978-1400308255 and 978-1400308262; paperback, $12.99 each.

Buy My Big Bible Sticker Book: Old Testament at ChristianBook.com for $9.99.

Buy My Big Bible Sticker Book: New Testament at ChristianBook.com for $9.99.

OR buy My Big Bible Stocker Book: Old Testament at Amazon.com for$2.49

Buy My Bible Bible Sticker Book: New Testament at Amazon.com for $12.99


Bookmark and Share


No comments: