Monday, November 16, 2015

Kristina Gives Thanks for The Jesus Storybook Bible

The last few years haven't been the easiest for my family. We've struggled with health issues, money issues (paychecks don't go as far as they used to!), feelings of isolation from our family, and feelings of betrayal from people we thought were friends. But, boy, have we grown spiritually! I'm thankful for the fact that now, as a family, we are more focused than ever on God. I'm also thankful we are working toward a long time dream: To move away from the suburbs (and a city that seems less and less family friendly) and into a rural area. God willing, by next year we'll be living very near family, in the middle of God's beautiful forest.

But this a blog is about books. I am certainly thankful, as I pack the gazillion books we own, that we have such easy, ready access to books. And as I learn about people throughout the world whose governments make owning a Bible illegal, I'm thankful that I have multiple copies of the Bible. But the Bible I may be most thankful for is The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones (and illustrations by Jago). Not only has this children's Bible storybook been a huge blessing for my children - teaching them important, deep spiritual truths - but it's taught me a lot about the Bible, too. And I'm not the only adult who feels this way. In fact, so many adults wrote to Jones about The Jesus Storybook Bible, that she created a version just for adults, called The Story of God's Love For You.

What I Like: I absolutely love how Jones goes way beyond mere retelling of Bible stories in The Jesus Storybook Bible. She not only links all the stories included in the book to Jesus, but she manages to express spiritual truths in such a simple, easy to understand way. I cannot recommend this book enough.

What I Dislike: Nothing!

Overall Rating: Excellent.

Age Appeal: Toddlers through adults.

 
Publisher Info: Zondervan, 2007; ISBN: 978-0310708254; hardback, 352 pgs., $17.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $5.99
  
Or Buy it at Amazon.com for $9.98.


No comments: