Tuesday, June 24, 2014

99 Stories from the Bible

99 Stories from the Bible by Juliet David is a beautiful, well illustrated children's story Bible.

This was one of the books that my children loved me pulling out in the evenings and reading from before bedtime. My 6 year old reader loved that she was able to follow along with me as I read to her, and my 2 year old loved the colorful, child-friendly illustrations on each and every page.

As the title suggests, this book covers 99 of the more familiar Bible accounts in a very summarized way. Each account takes no more than one to two pages recount each story. Many of the accounts are broken up into smaller accounts which is how there are 99 stories. For example the account of Moses is broken into six separate stories: A Baby in a Basket, God Speaks to Moses, Moses Meets the King, The Sea Dries Up, Moses Climbs a Mountain, and Giants.

What I Like: Illustrations are a huge selling point for me (not that content isn't important in any way). Children usually tend to gravitate to whatever is beautiful, colorful, and well-drawn. I love how almost each account has a two page illustration with the words being placed in areas that are not busy but still colorful. The illustrations on the cover (pictured) are examples of the full page illustrations in the book.

I also like that children are made familiar with the Bible accounts that they may skip over otherwise such as the story of Hannah. The summaries are short but give enough information to children so they have a reference point to go back to.

What I Dislike: I liked everything about this book.

Overall Rating: Excellent

Age Appeal: 2-8-year-olds

Publisher Info: Candle Books, 2013; ISBN: 978-7-85985-847-9 ; hardcover, 192 pgs., $14.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $11.99


OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $13.49


 

No comments: