Thursday, February 13, 2014

Why God Made Armpits

If you’re looking for either a Biblical or a scientific explanation as to why we have armpits or what their function is, you won’t find it in this book, Why God Made Armpits, written by Evan Doyle. What you will find is a story of a young boy who wants to know what the place under his arm are called and why he has it.

The explanation given is very simple: Mom says, “I think He made it simply to tickle.” Dad joins in, and they say, “To make you squiggle. To make you wiggle. I think it’s there to make you giggle!”

They go on to suggest that God likes to laugh and he knew we humans would, too. So he gave us armpits so we could share our laughter with each other.

The pages of the book are filled top-to-bottom with gloriously colorful and expressive illustrations by Natosha Arrowood.

What I Like: I love the illustrations. Without them, this book would just putter along.

I also like the idea of armpits being just for tickling, although that’s not a real explanation for them.

And, the author includes a short prayer of praise at the end of the book for kids.

What I Dislike: For one thing, the text is written in rhyme. Even though the rhyme works well for the part I shared above, the rhyme is weak in the rest of the text.

Also, the book is very short, with only twelve pages total. I think the book would have worked better in a board book format, rather than a full-sized picture book.

Overall Rating: Good.

Age Appeal: 4-8.

Publisher Info: Wordpress, 2013; ISBN: 9780989139502; Paperback, $9.95.



No comments: