Thursday, September 26, 2013

Daddy, What Does Faith Look Like?


In the book, Daddy, What Does Faith Look Like?, written by Amanda Peterson, a young girl wants to know what faith looks like. She asks her dad, “Is it fuzzy like a kitty? Is it shiny as a bike? Can it tell me I am pretty? Is it something I should like?”

Other similar questions are asked before her dad responds, “Faith isn’t something you can see, but it is something that can grow. God gave us faith so we could believe in Him, in Jesus, in winds that blow.” He continues with a more complete description of faith.

Then the child shows she understands what faith is when she says, “I have faith when I believe the stories from God’s word. I have faith even when I don’t see, even when his voice isn’t heard.”

The illustrations by Marla Heidt are colorful and expressive.

What I Like: I think the lesson is a good one: Faith isn’t something you can see or hear or taste or smell. It’s something that you believe in your heart.

What I Dislike: As you can tell, the text is written in rhyme. And, as many of you know, I’m not a big fan of rhyming verse because it’s so difficult to write it and do it well. Unfortunately, this is a case where many times the rhyme is forced and the meter of the verse is off. I think the use of rhyme detracts from the message when it’s not well done.

Also, the layout of the books is rather monotonous as all of the pages have an illustration with text underneath. There is no variation from this on any of the pages.

Overall Rating: Good.

Age Appeal: 8-12.

Publisher Info: CreateSpace, 2012; ISBN: 9781466457096; Paperback, $10.99.

 
Special Info: Read our reviews of other books illustrated by Marla Heidt.



1 comment:

Kathy Cassel said...

The cover does not appeal to me. It shrieks "self published." I'm not sure if it is or not, but that's what comes across to me.