Saturday, November 24, 2012

Can I Love You?

Dr. Christine Gillan Byrne’s book Can I Love You? is about parents loving their children from the top of their heads to the tips of their toes. Each two-page spread in the book features a 4-line rhyming text on one side and a full-sized, life-like drawing of a parent holding a baby on the other. The paintings, done by Lory Ortega, are close and personal, focusing mainly on faces, and include people from a variety of ethnic backgrounds.

In the story, the author basically counts the ways a parent can kiss, hug, and love every part of the child. For example: Can I kiss your baby neck;/ Both your shoulders and your sides?/ Can I nuzzle your soft tummy?/ And squeeze your small behind?

At the end of the book, Byrne provides three suggested activities, adapted versions of two songs—I Am So Glad that Jesus Loves Me and Jesus Loves Me—and tips for teaching children how to pray.

Special Info: This author offers a website with more information about Young Child Ministries.

What I Like: The author has a background in early childhood and is the founder of Young Child Ministries. This fact gives credence to the suggested activities and prayer tips found at the end of the book.

What I Dislike: The book is meant to be shared with babies, and then gradually toddlers. However, it’s a paperback. I’m not sure how well that will hold up with this age group. Plus, it's pricey for what you get...and cannot be ordered off Amazon or ChristianBooks.I thought it was an okay book, but I'm not sure I'd spend that much on it unless I really loved the pictures... or if I wanted to give it as a gift at a baby shower.

Overall Rating: Good

Age Appeal: Infant through toddler

Publisher Info: Xlibris Corporation, 2011; ISBN:978-1-4653-6833-1; Paperback, 26 pgs., $9.99

This book is NOT available at Christianbook.com
NOR is it available at Amazon.com. If you are interested in ordering this book, try the website listed above.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: