Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Comic Book Bible

The Comic Book Bible, written and illustrated by Rob Suggs and colored by Christopher Gray, is a truly unique Bible. The selection of Bible stories is extensive, and each one is told in roughly four pages. As the story progresses, the relevant Bible verse is stated at the top of the page.
The sentences are descriptive but not lengthy, and the vocabulary is basic enough for kids to understand. The illustrations are what you would expect from a comic book, but the faces are more expressive, particularly the eyes.
I was pleasantly surprised at the detail provided in each comic strip. For example, The Birth of Jesus discusses Mary's visit by the angel Gabriel, Joseph's fears, the journey to Bethlehem, and includes the fact that the inn was full because of the census before culminating in the well-known nativity scene.
The Comic Book Bible also contains a section of maps and other special features, such as the Ten Commandments, Family Life in Israel, the 23rd Psalm, Verses to Know, The Life of Jesus, and more.
Much information is packed into 263 pages. A really cool Bible!
What I Like: The comic book format really appealed to my boys, and I'd find them flipping through the pages with no prompting from me. I found this book a refreshing and fun way to learn the Bible, but I wonder if young girls would also enjoy the format. Let me know!
What I Dislike: Nothing. Some people might not prefer the King James Version of the scripture verse at the top of each page.
Overall Rating: Very Good
Age Appeal: The publisher suggests ages 8 to 12, although I think the comic book style appeals to an even younger audience. A non-reader would enjoy it with a parent, so I'd say ages 5 to 10.
Publisher Info: Barbour Publishing, 2009; ISBN: 978-1-60260-685-2; Paperback $5.97.
Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $4.49.
OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $5.97.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: