Tuesday, July 14, 2009

God Be In My Heart


God Be In My Heart is a collection of poems, prayers, and Scriptures, compiled and illustrated by Laurie Lazzaro Knowlton. She also wrote some of the selections featured in the book. My daughter has carried this book around with her everywhere since I first read it to her. The book opens with a sweet morning poem:
"God's bird in the morning I'd be!
I'd set my heart within a tree --
Close to His bed and sing to Him
Happily --
Happily,
a sunrise hymn."
The illustration features a girl, yarn hair blowing in the breeze, enjoying a tire swing. The book also includes a prayer for eating, a poem of thankfulness to God, a prayer to say before a sports event, a poem about the days of the week, a prayer asking for forgiveness, a birthday poem, Psalm 30:11, a prayer for peace, a poem about God's watch-care over us, and the well-known poem, "God Be In My Head," from the French Book of Hours.
What I Like: My absolute favorite thing about this book is the illustrations. They are done in fabric collage form and are so sweet! Everything in this book is very easy for a child to remember, and will encourage a child to be thankful for all of God's blessings.
What I Dislike: I don't dislike anything about this book. I would love it to be longer!
Overall Rating: Very Good
Age Appeal: 5-8, but I definitely think younger children would enjoy it as well.
Publisher Info: Boyds Mills Press, 1999; ISBN:1563976463 ; Hardcover $11.95.
Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $10.99
Special Info: Here is the author's website, which may interest you! You can also order the book from Boyds Mills Press, by clicking on the author's "Books" page.
Bookmark and Share

No comments: