Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Beverly's Top 10 Kids' Books

10. Home For a Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown. I love this book because it is replete with repetition, soft but engaging illustrations, and fun animal sounds. You'll love reading this book aloud as much as your child will enjoying listening.

9. We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen is thrilling to the last page, and your child will quickly learn to recite this book with you! My daughter used to hold her breath, eyes wide, listening with suspense to this delightful story.

8. Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace. Betsy is five years old and wishes for a best friend. When Tacy moves into her neighborhood, a friendship that will span years begins. These two loveable girls have all types of adventures and go through experiences, happy and sad, that will touch your heart.

7. Homeplace by Anne Shelby. Your child will get to see how one family grew and their house expanded over the course of six generations. The story is told from the perspective of a grandmother to her granddaughter, and will touch your heart!

6. The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney is the first in a series of books that tell of a widowed mother and her five children. The family is desperately poor, and must be very creative just to "get by." This is such an honest story that will really make your children think.

5. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown is beautiful not only because of its unique illustrations, but because of the soothing lilt to its rhyme. I love reading it out loud to my children because it is truly calming.

4. Reading the Little House on the Prairie Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder evokes many happy memories for me. My mom read it to me when I was a child, and I cannot wait to do the same with my girls. You will laugh and cry with the Ingalls family as you follow them from the woods of Wisconsin, to Kansas, to Minnesota, and to the Dakota Territory.

3. The Child's Story Bible by Catherine F. Vos is my very favorite children's Bible story book. The gospel is clear, the words are easy for a child to understand, and there are beautiful illustrations to enjoy throughout the book. Read more here, in my review.

2. Leading Little Ones to God by Marian Schooland will teach a child the doctrines of God, and about the Bible in a plain way. This book is so beautifully written that you will be touched as you read it to your child. See my review of this book here.

1. I Can Fly by Ruth Krauss, is absolutely a favorite in our household. The book features children pretending to be their favorite animals in delightful ways. You'll love the sweet illustrations, and the way it inspires children's imaginations. I've also mentioned the book in this review.




Bookmark and Share





No comments: