Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sammy and His Shepherd

Sammy and His Shepherd, is a wonderful devotional for children. Written by Susan Hunt, and illustrated by Cory Godbey, it will help a child not only memorize, but internalize, the beloved Psalm 23.

The devotional is written as a story that is narrated by Sammy the lamb. Each chapter focuses on one verse in the psalm. There is a "Talk About It," section for each chapter at the end of the book.

For example, chapter one focuses on, "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want." In the story, Sammy realizes what a wonderful and caring shepherd he has when he meets another lamb whose shepherd does not care for her needs. Sammy is thankful that his shepherd knows him by name and provides for every need he has. He becomes friends with the little sheep. The "Talk About It" section features three additional verses to meditate on, six questions to answer, and something to thank Jesus for when the child prays.

As the chapters progress, Sammy's shepherd buys the neglected little lamb and names her Precious. While Sammy helps Precious to learn all about her shepherd, children will learn of their Savior.

What I Like: I like the fact that this devotional takes a child through the psalm one verse at a time in true expository style. Theological truths are gently woven into the stories, and your child will learn how to trust in their Shepherd. I can't wait until my daughters are a little older so that we can go through this book with them. The illustrations are lovely as well.

What I Dislike: I can't say that I dislike anything about this book!

Overall Rating: Excellent

Age Appeal: The publisher doesn't specify, but I'd say 4-8.

Publisher Info: Reformation Trust Publishing, 2008; ISBN:1567691099 ; Hardcover $17.00.

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $13.99.

OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $11.56.




Bookmark and Share





No comments: