Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Read Aloud Bible Stories Volume 1

Read Aloud Bible Stories Volume 1 , was written by Ella K. Lindvall and illustrated by H. Kent Puckett. This book won the Gold Medallion Book Award in 1983, and is still beloved by many. I was so excited when, cuddled under our favorite blanket, my two year old and I read through the whole book in one sitting. She was spellbound the entire time.

This Bible story book is written for the very young, and each story is retold in simple but biblically accurate language.

Volume One includes: The Man Who Was Too Little (Zacchaeus), The Man Who Couldn't See (Blind Bartimaeus), The Boys and Girls and Jesus, The Wind That Obeyed, and The Man Who Said, 'Thank You,' (The 10 Lepers).


An example of how this book is written can be found in this excerpt from the story of Zacchaeus:

"Now Zaccheus was up high. He could see the daddies coming. And the mommies. And the grandpas. And the grandmas. And the uncles. And the aunts. And the boys. And girls. And the friends. And THEN -- ZACCHEUS SAW JESUS. Jesus stopped at the big tree. He looked up -- right at Zaccheus. 'Zaccheus,' He said, 'hurry. Come down. I'm coming to your house.'"

What I Like: I love the wording of this book, the biblical accuracy, and the way it appeals to my daughter!

What I Dislike: I don't dislike anything about this book!

Overall Rating: Excellent.

Age Appeal: 3-6, but my two year old loves it.

Publisher Info: Moody Publishers, 1986; ISBN: 0802471633; Hardcover, $14.99.


Special Info: Jesus' face is never shown in the illustrations.
You can get all four books in this series here.


No comments: