Monday, September 22, 2008

Quack Quack Polka


Quack Quack Polka, written by Deedra Scherm, offers an interactive rhyme founded on Psalm 139:14: "I will praise Thee for I am fearfully and wonderfully made!" While the Scripture is quoted only once at the back of the book (with reference), the poem is actually repeated three times in the book. The second time is meant to be read quickly and the third time softly. The last page encourages readers to shout the final verse of the poem: "I'm so happy how God made me!"
The illustrations by Laura Dreyer are bold and playful. They provide much interest without too many details.
What I Like: My kids love this book! I like that it's colorful and sturdy. The size is nice, 7 x7". Also, it teaches a great lesson: kids should be just who God made them to be and allow others to be who God made them to be.
What I Dislike: The subtitle of the book is "A fun tune to say you are wonderfully made." Maybe I'm not up on my polkas, but I couldn't find a tune that worked with this text. I would love to sing it with my kids, but I don't know how. Chanting works just fine for us.
Overall Rating: Very Good.
Age Appeal: 6 and under
Publisher Info: Lemon Vision, 2008; ISBN: 1934789038; Boardbook; $7.99
Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $5.99!
Or buy it at Amazon.com for $7.99.
Special Info: See our reviews of other books by this author/illustrator team.


Addendum: The author contacted us shortly after this review was published, and I'm so glad she did! The Little Buds series, of which this book is a part, contains DVDs, CDs and books all with a holistic view of learning; they teach Christian virtues along with counting and phonics. The author says it's "like a Christian Sesame Street." This book, Quack Quack Polka









, was written to highlight the letter 'Q'.
My only dislike above was the lack of a tune. The videos provide this! Click HERE to watch the polka on youTube. I'm grateful to the author for informing us. However, I'm still going to keep my rating at "Very Good" because the book alone doesn't provide this valuable information. I never would have made the connection on my own. Thanks, Deedra!

No comments: