Monday, September 8, 2008

How Do Alligators Praise the Lord?

How Do Alligators Praise the Lord? brings a fresh perspective to Psalm 150:6 -- "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord." Kirk Franklin, winner of multiple Grammys and Dove Awards, wrote this tale of swamp creatures singing and dancing to their Creator. The included CD offers a single of the same title featuring Kirk Franklin and his kids in his signature style.

Jason Carrier's illustrations fill the pages with bold colors and funny cartoon-like characters. The expressions are bold and exaggerated.

What I Like: It teaches a great verse in a fun, exciting way. Both my kids enjoy the book, but my son especially loves it. He boogies with the CD and runs around the house rapping about alligators praising the Lord! This is one of the few books that gets him interested in learning Bible verses. The song is great! (Note: If you don't enjoy R&B or Hip Hop, you probably won't like it, but it may be a great way to introduce your kids to diversity in music styles.)

What I Dislike: While I really enjoy the song, I find it distracting that Kirk repeatedly interrupts the message of praising God to introduce his kids or brag about how great they are. I'm a parent, so I understand being proud of your kids -- and he definitely has reason to be proud; they're very talented! But it was distracting.

Overall Rating: Very Good.

Age Appeal: 4-8, but my just-turned-3-son loves it.

Publisher Info: Charisma Kids, 2005; ISBN: 1591852099; Hardback; $11.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $9.99!
Or buy it at Amazon.com for $10.19.

Special Info: This book with CD is also available in Spanish for $8.99.

No comments: