Wednesday, October 28, 2015

It's Not About You, Mr. Pumpkin

It’s Not About You Mr. Pumpkin, is a unique tool for parents, grandparents and teachers to share both the historical and religious background of the holiday with young readers. The fun and colorful illustrations give children the opportunity to see styles of the past as they learn the origins and true story behind this holiday.

What I Like: For quite some time now, my family and I have not celebrated Halloween. With my children in public school, October is challenging in reminding my young children why exactly why we don't celebrate Halloween when all of their school friends are. They struggle with explaining it to their curious friends. Author Soraya Coffelt did an extraordinary job writing a book that explains the true meaning of Halloween in an easy and delightful way that children can grasp.

All in all, the book's overall content is wonderful and a must have resource for families that do not celebrate Halloween.

What I Dislike: I am torn with the illustrations and cover of the book. Although illustrator Tea Seroya is talented, I'm a little concerned that the illustrations are contradicting what the book is meant to convey. Happy jack-o-lanterns and smiling children seem to say that Halloween is fun. On the other hand, it is a children's book and I wouldn't expect scary illustrations either.

I was a little disappointed with the last line and illustration of the book where the author encourages carving something nice on a jack-o-lantern as an alternative. The drawing in a full page of a jack-o-lantern with a cross carved on its forehead. I think that one line would confuse children and keep them interested in Halloween, which would defeat the purpose of the book in the first place.


Overall Rating: Very Good.

Age Appeal: 5-10 Years.

Publisher Info: Morgan James Publishing, 2015; ISBN: 9781630476397; Paperback, 32 pgs., $8.99

OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $7.01


No comments: