Friday, September 25, 2015

The Red Boat

The Red Boat: Summer title in the Seasons of Faith picture book series by Harry C. Trover is a beautiful parable of redemption. I remember my mother reading this story to me as a child, so when I received this book with the accompanying CD, I couldn't wait to share it with my children.

Dylan is a little boy whose family did not have enough money to buy toys, so he made himself a little boat. With care, he carved it, pieced it together, and painted it until it looked the way he wanted it to.

One day as he was playing with it in the river, the little boat broke free from the tether Dylan had made and was lost. A few weeks later, he and his aunt were walking through the streets of her town some distance away from his home. When he looked in the window of one of the stores, he saw his little boat. However, because it now had a new owner, Dylan had to purchase back his boat. What a beautiful picture of our own redemption!

What I Like: Besides the story itself, I love the illustrations in the book. They are a perfect match for the story being told. I also love the fact that there is a CD that accompanies the book. It is perfect for non readers as there is little sound that lets them know it is time to turn the page. It is also great for parents who like to play stories on CD for their children as they go to sleep.

What I Dislike: I love everything about this book.

Overall Rating: Excellent

Age Appeal: 4-12 years old

Publisher Info: CBH Ministries, 2010; ISBN: 978-0982512050 ; paperback, 32 pgs., $10.00

Buy it at Amazon.com for $4.65

No comments: