Monday, August 31, 2015

The Lion Classic Wisdom Stories

The Lion Classic Wisdom Stories (Lion Classic Series) by Mary Joslin is a collection of beautiful, short stories from around the world, each with a grain of wisdom meant to leave a lasting impression.

Although this book does not fall under the category of "Christian Children's Book", it is still a great book. The stories are pulled from many of our world's cultures which, for me, is always fascinating.

I personally preferred to read this book aloud with my children. Because the stories in it are not inherently "Christian" stories, I wanted to be there to explain, discuss, give a biblical basis for the morals taught, and answer questions about the stories.

What I Like: I really like that Mary Joslin has found 28 intriguing and fascinating stories with great moral lessons and made them easy for children to appreciate. Many of the stories were new to me. The stories are told in such a way that a child's interest is kept and captivated throughout the reading. I also love the illustrations. They really lend to the cultural setting of the book.

What I Dislike: I liked this book very much.

Overall Rating: Very good (only because this book is not a specifically Christian book, just a great  moral book.)

Age Appeal: 5-12 years old

Publisher Info: Lion Hudson, 2013; ISBN: 978-0745963693; hardcover, 128 pgs., $19.99

Buy it from Amazon for $16.08

No comments: