• Each devotion is a two-page spread
• The spread is heavy on the visual and light on text
• A short portion of Scripture is stated
• The reader is invited to interact with that Scripture (make a list, doodle a picture, insert a picture, take a fun quiz, rate yourself, design something, respond to a prompt, etc.)
• An occasional prayer is included or an encouragement to read more from a provided Scriptural reference
• Readers are encouraged to write directly in the book, making it almost like a journal or a collection of artistic expressions
Though this book is geared toward girls, the author provides a similarly artistic book for boys. It's called Dare U 2 Open This Book: Draw It, Write It, Dare 2 Live It.
What I Like:I am one of those people who love to doodle. Rarely does a piece of paper pass through my hands without some kind of embellishment added. So I was immediately drawn into (pardon the pun) the format of the book. So often, students are offered a left-brain approach to studying Scripture (or doing schoolwork for that matter). This right-brain approach is refreshing. I want to say, “Finally… a devotion geared for people like me… someone who colored the entire surface of her desk in second grade and turned in a cartoon strip for her final project in a college course (with the teacher’s consent).”
What I Dislike: The verses are presented raw, with little or no explanation or context provided. Therefore, I believe it may be best suited for those familiar with and well rooted in the stories of the Bible. Because of that, I think the book has a more limited audience than it might otherwise reach. (It can still work for anyone, but may leave some gaps for those new to the targeted Bible stories.)
Age Appeal: 8-12 (although it may appeal to those older than designated age group).
Publisher Info: Zondervan, 2014; ISBN: 9780310742982 ; Paperback, 192 pgs., $9.99.
Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $8.19
OR Buy the version geared for boys, Dare U 2 Open This Book: Draw It, Write It, Dare 2 Live It, for $8.19
OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $8.92.
OR Buy the version geared for boys, Dare U 2 Open This Book: Draw It, Write It, Dare 2 Live It for $8.82.