Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Butterflies, Ladybugs, and Squirrels

Exploring God's creation is a common activity for Bonnie, the narrator of Butterflies, Ladybugs, and Squirrels, written and illustrated by Amy Webb. Today, Bonnie wants to tell you about three of favorite creatures found in her backyard.

Filled with trivia and fun crafts, Butterflies, Ladybugs, and Squirrels is a handy little book for your budding naturalist and outdoor enthusiast. They will be fascinated by the things they didn't know about these common creatures, like how to tell a moth and a butterfly apart. (Even I was surprised by the things I'd forgotten!)

What I Like: This is a really cute book on all levels. The writing is great, the illustrations simply amazing, and the facts wonderful. I love how Bonnie ties everything back to honoring God, thanking Him for His creation. At the end, she journals to God, and I found that to be one of the most honest and poignant parts of the book--and a great lesson on prayer, too!

What I Dislike: My only problem with the book is a formatting gripe. I can understand having a book with butterflies and ladybugs together as the subject matter (they're insects, which makes sense), but squirrels too? Even though they're all common backyard creatures, it seems to me that doing two books--one on mammals/rodents and another on insects would have been a better idea. However, that's just me, and I wouldn't let that detract from the excellent quality of this book.

Overall Rating: Very good, only because I would have rather seen this as two books as mentioned above. Otherwise, this would have received the top rating of excellent.

Age Appeal: 5 - 10

Publisher Info: Creation Today, 2012; ISBN: 978-1-58468-511-1; Hardback, 32 pgs., $9.95

Buy it at Amazon.com for $10.73.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: