Monday, February 11, 2013

Jesus, I Believe

Teaching the basic truths of Christianity to children can be difficult. What do you tell your child about when Christ will return? Where is Jesus? In Jesus, I Believe by Judith A. Harrah and illustrated by Julie Kukreja, the author may not have all the answers, but she does offer a foundation for what we as Christians believe in an age-appropriate, rhyming manner.

What I Like: A wide variety of topics are covered, from the sinful nature of man, to the Trinity, to Jesus returning one day.

The illustrations really emphasize what the little boy in the story is talking about. He's really cute, too, with a gap-toothed grin.

What I Dislike: I take issue with any book that talks about the Bible but doesn't back assertions up with scripture references. I really wish Ms. Harrah had included one to even five references on each page that parents could share with their children. While it's important to know what you believe, it's better to know why - and to be able to point to it in the Bible.

My second problem with the book is that it's written in a way you literally chant. It's not lyrical, even though it rhymes, and the way it repeats makes me think of people who chant incantations - for lack of a better term. For example:
"I believe in God's love
I believe in His endless love
I believe it's what He's made of
I believe in God's love"
Overall Rating: Good.

Age Appeal: 5 - 8

Publisher Info: Shade Tree Publishing, 2011; ISBN: 978-1-937331-10-8; Paperback, 34 pgs., $13.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $10.99
OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $11.89 or for Kindle for $5.99.

Special Info: Obviously, the face of Jesus is shown on the cover of the book, as well as in the interior. Images of what Heaven may be like are present, as well.







Bookmark and Share

No comments: