Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Lonely Sunflower

How does nine-year-old author Julia Minigh encourage those who are lonely? With a story about growing friends. The Lonely Sunflower starts with a solo flower in an empty field. The flower longs to make friends, but a passing bee is too busy collecting nectar to stop and visit, and a flighty butterfly has no time to talk. In her sorrow, the sunflower cries and cries and cries. Her tears water the ground, which allows surrounding seeds to grow. To her surprise and delight, sprouts form. Friends at last! The story closes with a verse from Psalm 126:5: “Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.” (NIV)
The Lonely Sunflower is a fast read with simple, cartoon-like illustrations done by award-winning artist Kasey Short. The pictures accompany the text nicely with their soft earthy tones.
What I Like: I love that this story was written by a nine-year old. How exciting! How fun! Big kudos for her! If I were able, I'd do a happy flip for her. I hope she continues to follow her passion. Other children with aspirations to become writers may be inspired to see such a young author in print. I'd pick it up for my classroom just so my students could see IT CAN BE DONE.
What I Dislike: The connection between the Bible verse and the story is a bit vague. But it’s still insightful for a child author. Some readers may find it a little pricey too, but it's available in Kindle for a better price.
Overall Rating: Good. Good job, Julia!
Age Appeal: Publisher lists 0-8. I'd lean more toward 4-8.
Publisher Info: ShadeTree Publishing, 2011; ISBN:978-0982263266; Paperback, 30 pgs., $13.00 or Kindle version for $4.99.
This book is NOT available at Christianbook.com.
Buy it at Amazon.com for $11.89.
Buy the KINDLE version for $4.99.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: