Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Perfect You

God has given everyone unique gifts. In Perfect You by Holly Skelton, your young reader learns that her blend of interests makes her who she is--and that she's perfect the way God made her.

With the talents she has, she is to use them to serve others. In addition, as she gets older, she will learn to recognize everyone has talents different from each other, emphasizing 1 Corinthians 7:7, which reads:
"Each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that."
What I Like: I really think this is a fabulous book for any kid dealing with self-esteem issues. While the characters illustrated are primarily girls, it would be beneficial for boys as well.

The idea of high self-esteem has been one touted for many years, and I found this book had a great view from a biblical perspective. There were four verses used (including the one I mention above) which emphasized how the reader is special in God's eyes.

The story is written a letter from God to the reader, as though God Himself is speaking to your child.

What I Dislike: There's not much I actually dislike about this book, however, I have a reservation about it. My one fear would be that a girl would think because God made them perfect (for them), she needs to be perfect--whether this is physically, in school, or in any way. I would definitely use this book as a teaching opportunity, especially if you think your daughter -- or son -- may have these particular issues.

Overall Rating: Very good.

Age Appeal: The publisher states 4 and up, but because of the subject matter, I think the book, while short, is better for kids a little older, maybe 6 and up.

Publisher Info: Tate Publishing, 2011; ISBN: 978-1-61739-918-3; Paperback, 20 PGS., $8.99

Buy it at Amazon.com for $8.99. Also available as an audio file for $6.12.






Bookmark and Share

No comments: