* An introduction on understanding Bible chapters and verses.
* A Q & A section on "Getting to Know Jesus," which includes questions like "How do I get to know Jesus?" and "Why did Jesus have to die?"
* Full color insert pages that list famous people of the Bible and where to read about them; suggestions on what to read in the Bible when you feel a certain way; what the Bible has to say about certain topics (like Heaven, Hell, and stewardship); a list of the fruits of the spirit; and the "ABC"s of becoming a Christian (admit sin, believe, and confess).
* A dictionary of terms.
* A list of 150 famous Bible stories and where to find them in the Bible.
* 8 full color maps.
* 18 attractive, full color illustrations by Kathleen O'Malley.
* A presentation page.
What I Like: This is an attractive and kid-friendly Bible. Unlike so many Bibles, with their tiny type, this one is easier on the eyes - making it better for young readers. I also really like how it encourages children to become familiar with the Bible by listing popular stories and where to find them. This is definitely a Bible I'm hanging on to so my children can enjoy it when they are older.
What I Dislike: In reading up on the NIrV version, I found most people approve of it. However, I did discover that Isaiah 14:13 mentions "gods" in the NIrV - something no other Bible I checked did. You can see this for yourself (and compare NIrV to other versions of the Bible) at Bible Gateway. I notice that the Discoverer's Bible is available in other translations; see the Special Info section below.
Overall Rating: Very good.
Age Appeal: 6 and up.
Publishing Info: Zonderkidz; 2002; ISBN: 978-0310703822; hardback, 2,048 pgs., $24.99.
Buy Now at Amazon for $18.87
OR buy at ChristianBook.com for $16.49
Special Info: To purchase the Discoverer's Bible in New International Version (NIV) and the King James Version, click here.