Monday, November 14, 2011

Do You Love Me More? (Faith Basics for Kids)

"Do you love me more than you did before?" This is what the little boy in Do You Love Me More? by Crystal Bowman and Ava Pennington wants to know. With illustrations by Kristi Valiant, we follow the boy through his day, where he frequently stops to ask God his question.
"My friends come by to have some fun.
I share my toys with everyone.

I help my friend who stubs his toe,
so God, I really want to know.

Do you love me more
than you did before?"
Then, the boy's mom pulls out the Bible, and explains the concept of grace.
"We read the book and then I see,
God sent his only Son for me.

He died for me and took my place.
God's love is free. He calls it grace."

What I Like: I love how this book is from a boy's perspective and he's questioning whether by doing good works, God loves him more. All too frequently, this seems to be the message in today's society. And the note to parents/teachers at the end gives some great verses to emphasize what the Bible says about being "good" versus being saved.

I also loved the fact that the family in the book weren't your homogenous white family. It's refreshing.

What I Dislike: Nothing.

Overall Rating: Excellent.

Age Appeal: 4 - 8

Publisher Info: Standard Publishing, 2010; ISBN: 978-0-7847-2916-8; Hardback, 26 PGS., $8.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $7.19.
OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $8.99.

Special Info: We've reviewed other books by Crystal Bowman here.






Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

la youngster said...

Must be a good book to me and looks like the boy is expecting to be love conditionally that supposed to be an unconditional love.