Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Color of Grace

When a little boy asks his mother what grace looks like, his mom takes the opportunity of a teachable moment in The Color of Grace by Jennifer Neill. As illustrated by Amy Fox and Charles Bishop, the boy continues to ask questions about grace as the mother prepares her son for bed.

Momma, what does grace sound like?
It sounds like the water flowing down from a stream.

What I Like: The illustrations by Ms. Fox and Mr. Bishop are very nicely done. Thematically, they seemed to be a bit on the Christmas-y side of things, although I don't think this is meant to be a Christmas book.

What I Dislike: I really grappled with the theme of this book, and never could understand it very well despite multiple read-throughs--more than average for most of the books I review here. Its concept seemed so out there, I didn't think it was very believable or even understandable. Perhaps if there had been a foreword of some kind by the author to explain the book it would have helped in my comprehension of what was trying to be conveyed, however the only bit at the beginning was a list of several names Jesus is known by, which are referenced to one degree or another throughout the story, as well as a scripture from Titus.

Overall Rating: This is a book I just didn't "get" so for that reason, I have to give it a Ho-hum rating.

Age Appeal: 4 - 8

Publisher Info: In the Wind Books, 2010; ISBN: 978-0-9817749-2-3; Paperback, 28 PGS., $12.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $9.99
OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $12.99.






Bookmark and Share

No comments: