Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Good Shepherd

The Good Shepherd is a comforting book for young children, based on the parable Jesus tells about the shepherd who leaves 99 sheep safe in the fold, while He goes to look for the one who is lost. Eric Shouse wrote the book to accompany a song he wrote, of the same name.

I read the book on my Kindle, where the drawings appear grey and muted. I am sure they would look better in color. Also, the book is based on a song, but I was unable to download the song and hear it on my Kindle.

In the book, the Shepherd is portrayed as strong, wise and good. He is willing to brave the dark, storms and wolves, just to rescue his sheep. The lamb is shown praying, and we are told the Shepherd would lay down his life for his lamb. After the sheep has been found, he sings,
Baa baa baa baa, to the Good Shepherd
Baa baa baa, to the one who would save
Baa baa baa baa, to the Good Shepherd
We'll listen for your voice always, We'll follow You all of our days.

What I Like: The message is sweet and reassuring. I also like the pictures of Jesus holding the lamb, after he finds it.
What I Dislike: Some of the phrasing is awkward, and I am not sure if it would sound better in song. For instance, a secondary refrain reads, "Now the Shepherd was good/And was strong and was wise/From one hundred knew which lamb was gone." I kept feeling like I was missing a phrase or pronoun when I tried to read the last sentence aloud.

Overall Rating: Ho-Hum for Kindle, probably better as a print book.

Age Appeal: Preschool

Publisher Info: Everybody Run Music, 2009; ISBN: 978-0-578-04648-8; Kindle, 16 pages, $3.99

Special Note: Jesus is portrayed as a traditional shepherd, and is shown on several pages.

Buy it at Amazon.com for $3.99 (Kindle Edition).

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Alexander said...

Great review! I`m reading this for sure!to my son!