Friday, June 3, 2011

Noah's Ark: With Exciting Felt Characters to Act Out the Wonderful Story (A Felt Play Story)

Ducks and pigs and giraffes…oh my! Who will get on the boat first? You decide! Noah's Ark: With Exciting Felt Characters to Act Out the Wonderful Story (A Felt Play Story), written and illustrated by Cathie Shuttleworth, is an interactive board book that gives children the opportunity to reenact this favorite Old Testament story by sticking felt animal characters right on the pages. The book cover has a plastic storage pouch to hold the animals felt pieces. Each sturdy page spread features four lines of text, bright and colorful illustrations, and a large felt area for kids to decorate.

What I Like: The book is well-built with attractive, kid-friendly illustrations. The felt pieces make it irresistible to touch. As soon as I saw it, I wanted to pick it up and play with it! It provides an excellent platform to talk about Noah’s Ark.

What I Dislike: I wish the felt areas for animal placement were bigger. And while I realize the text was simplified for the baby-preschool audience, I wonder if parents will need to provide extra background. (For example, the book says, “A flood was coming and God wanted Noah and his family to be safe.” Why a flood? Why did God only save Noah?) For that reason, I was disappointed that no Scriptural reference was provided for the story.

Not a dislike but a note: Some of the felt pieces were small. They may pose a choking hazard.

Overall Rating: Good. Even so, I suspect kids who buy this book will love it as an exciting interactive novelty... and yell, "EXCELLENT!"

Age Appeal: Baby- preschool

Publisher Info: Standard Publishing, 2007; ISBN:978-0784711170; Novelty Board Book, 10 PGS., $15.99

No longer available at Christianbook.com.
OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $11.65.


Bookmark and Share


No comments: