Sunday, November 7, 2010

Christmas Stories for Bedtime

If you’re looking for an engaging and informative book to help your child understand and celebrate Christmas, check out Christmas Stories for Bedtime, written by Renae Brumbaugh and illustrated by David Miles. The book contains thirty-one kid-friendly stories that begin with Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah and then go chronologically through the rest of the Christmas story up through the visit from the Magi. Chapters are presented in the following format: A short passage of Scripture, a story rooted in the verses provided, a prayer, and either a quote or segment of a carol related to the story. For example, the chapter called “Trust and Obey” opens with Scripture from Luke 2:4-5 and then describes Mary and Joseph’s journey to Bethlehem. The prayer ties into the story and children’s own experience by stating (paraphrased), “Dear Father, sometimes I have to do things I don’t want to do… Help me to have a sweet attitude. Help me to trust you, even when I don’t understand.” The chapter ends with a portion of the Christmas carol O Little Town of Bethlehem.
Colorful illustrations frame each page and present a nice ethnic mixture of people. Each chapter has its own colored border, which lends a sense of harmony to it.

What I Like: Each well-written, bite-sized chapter provides a perfect amount of Christmas material for youngsters to savor before sleep. The prayers not only help children connect each story to their own lives, but also draw a life application from it. Both the Scripture and the quotes help make each chapter a cohesive unit--something I appreciate as a teacher. And the illustrations are simply ADORABLE. I wish this product had been available when my kids were younger. I would have purchased it in a heartbeat!

What I Dislike: Nothing

Overall Rating: Excellent

Age Appeal: 4-8

Publisher Info: Barbour Books, 2010; ISBN: 9781602606524; Paperback, 192 PGS., $5.99.

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $3.99
OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $5.99.

Special Info:
Visit this author's website.
Visit this illustrator's website.
Read CCBR reviews of other books by this author.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Renae said...

Thank you, Lori! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. God bless you and yours this Christmas and always!

Sincerely,
Renae Brumbaugh