Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lola Ladybug Says Her Prayers

Written by Erica Campbell and illustrated by Rebecca Riffey, Lola Ladybug Says Her Prayers shares the story of Lola Ladybug as she learns to pray for anything with the assistance of Momma. It's a simple story, but does teach little ones about the unlimited nature of prayer.

Lola begins by asking whether she can pray for things like ice cream and her bike. The story then moves on to Lola asking if she can pray for her friends and family. Momma is a great encouragement to Lola the whole way through, and prays with her at the end.

What I Like: While it may seem trite to an adult to pray for material things, this book does teach that we should pray to God for everything, regardless of how simple or unimportant it may seem to adults. My daughter (18 months) also seemed to really like the colorful pictures.

What I Dislike: While I love the concept of teaching prayer early in life, if you're using this book with older children in tandem with younger kids, I'd recommend emphasizing how you don't just pray to God for things you want. I'd also emphasize that just because you pray for things you want doesn't mean that you'll get them. However, for the age range of this book, this is quite adequate to teach the basics of prayer.

Because the book is primarily done in pink-y colors, I think more girls would appreciate this book than boys, though if you get the audio edition, both boys and girls would like it.

Overall Rating: Good

Age Appeal: Infant - 3 years according to the publisher, however I think older children would benefit from hearing the simple story, especially if they've not been widely exposed to prayer before.

Publishing Info: Tate Publishing & Enterprises, 2010; ISBN: 978-1-61566-844-1; paperback $7.99

Buy it at Amazon.com for $7.99.






Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Shirley Ann said...

I care for a four year old and a two and a half year old during the day and they are forever asking questions about God and praying. They actually argue with me about God saying things like "God can't hear me," or "I can't talk to God," and "He never talks back!" I have been really searching for some resources to help them with this, and it sounds like this book will be a good starting place.

Thanks for reviewing this, I've been getting a little discouraged trying to help them.

God bless,
S

Unknown said...

Shirley, I think this would be a great book to help these kiddos you care for understand prayer! It's a good start, at least. The 'He never talks back' may be a bit more of a lesson--this book doesn't really touch on that topic.

--Liberty