Friday, June 11, 2010

Come Sunday

You can almost hear the rousing choir sing, feel the melodic pipe organ play, and sense the powerful preacher’s voice in Come Sunday, a collection of poems written by Nikki Grimes and illustrated by Michael Bryant. The book chronicles a day in Paradise - Paradise Baptist Church - through the eyes of a young African American girl.

What I Like: I loved how the artist used bright watercolor pictures to capture both the spirit and energy of a typical Sunday morning. In addition, not only did my daughter think the child’s viewpoint of the church service was a spot on reflection of her own experience, she also enjoyed the illustrations. My favorite poem was called Jubilation because of its rollicking beat and repetitive chorus. My daughter, who longs to be baptized, was drawn to a poem called Baptism.

What I Dislike: Both my daughter and I thought the rhythm and rhyme of a few of the poems seemed stilted.

Overall Rating: Very Good

Age Appeal: 4-8 years

Publisher Info: Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1996; ISBN: 0802851347 ; paperback $8.00; hardback $16.00

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $5.99.

OR Buy the paperback at Amazon.com for $8.99 or the hardback for $10.33.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: