Monday, February 7, 2011

Hear My Prayer

Award-winning poet Lee Bennett Hopkins compiled a wonderful collection of prayers, including two of her own original works, in Hear My Prayer. Fourteen prayers in all, some are familiar and others brand new. While nine of them were written by anonymous authors, others are from Rebecca Kai Dotlich and Robert Browning.

The illustrations by Gretchen "Gigi" Moore are saturated with bold color. They feature diversity of characters and a touch of whimsy.

What I Like:
I like that the prayers are personal. The book offers beautiful examples for children to follow when they don't know how to pray or what to pray for. Short in length, they make for easy memorization, too. My 6-year-old likes that she can read this book by herself. The font is large and clear, perfect for emerging readers.

What I Dislike:
The illustrations are not my favorite style. They appear "unfinished." Other than that, there is nothing I specifically "dislike." But there is also nothing that stands out as extraordinary.

Overall Rating:
Good.

Age Appeal:
4-7

Publisher Info:
ZonderKidz, 2011; ISBN: 0310718112; Hardback; 32 pages; $12.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $9.99!


OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $11.04.

Special Info: This book is also available as an e-book for $9.99. If you like this book, you may also be interested to read our reviews of other books on prayer.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: