Nancy Rue replies with a straight-forward, warm approach that isn’t preachy, but informative. Even as an adult, I found myself basking in her wisdom. After all, some of the relationship and faith issues females face at twelve don’t change that much with time!
Her favorite Bible verse is, "But whoever did want him, who believed he was who he claimed and would do what he said, He made to be their true selves, their child-of-God selves." John 1:12-13 (The Message) She bases her whole ministry, the messages of all her books, on this one verse, and it shines through in her answers.
Here's a peek at the variety of subjects discussed by Ms. Rue:
- How am I supposed to be authentic?
- I have a lot of friends, but I’m not sure they’re real friends. Can you help me on that?
- How do you get so many interesting ideas in all your books?
- What is your favorite food?
- Which three people have had a positive impact on your life?
- Is it ok to date a boy at twelve? What if you think he’s a Christian?
- Do you have any tips for how to strengthen my faith and better my walk with God and things like that?
She also answers some tougher questions from girls dealing with depression, poverty, sick parents, and body image confusion.
What I Like: This is a great book for aspiring writers of all ages! Not only does Ms. Rue share how she became a writer, but she outlines her daily schedule and other everyday tidbits about her life. She provides a strong adult Christian role model for young girls. I can envision a mother and her daughter sharing this book, discussing Ms. Rue's answers, and learning a lot from one another.
What I Dislike: Nothing.
Overall Rating: Excellent
Age Appeal: Ages 10 and up.
Publisher Info: Zonderkidz, 2008; ISBN: 978-0-310-71496-5; Paperback; $9.99.
Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $7.99.
OR Buy it at Amazon.com for $9.99.
Special Info: For more information about Nancy Rue and her books, visit her Faithgirlz website. You may also be interested in our reviews of other books written by this author.