Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Otter and Owl Say I'm Sorry

Crystal Bowman's "I Can Read!" Level 1 book Otter and Owl Say I'm Sorry is a tale most kids can relate to.

Otter has a brand new scooter. He lets Owl steer as they ride together, trying to make it go even faster by coasting down a hill. They are having a great time - until they crash into a pond. Otter is mad. A wheel on the scooter is bent. "What kind of friend does that?" he asks.

Owl and Otter both go home and mope. Owl writes a heartfelt note asking for forgiveness and delivers it to Otter's front doorstep. Otter quickly forgives Owl. "God wants friends to forgive each other," he says. The buddies have pizza and thank God for friends, then go for another ride on the scooter. Otter fixes the wheel - sort of. Yet even though the scooter gives a wobbly ride, Owl and Otter still enjoy their time together.

What I Like: Owl and Otter are appealing characters; Kevin Zimmer's illustrations are vivid and cute, and the friends always struggle with familiar childhood difficulties. My nearly-four year old daughter loves this book.

What I Dislike: I wish Otter said God wants us to forgive everyone - not just friends.

Overall Rating: Very good.

Age Appeal: According to the publisher, 4 - 8, but younger kids will enjoy this as a "read to me" book.

Publisher Info: Zonderkidz, 2008; ISBN: 978-0310717072; paperback, $3.99

Buy it Now at ChristianBook.com for $2.99

Or at Amazon.com for $3.99



Bookmark and Share

No comments: