Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Thank You, God, for Rain

Thank You, God, for Rain was written by Mona Hodgson and illustrated by Milena Jahier as a Level 1 book in Zonderkidz “I Can Read!” series. In it desert creatures prepare for a summer storm, each gathering their own way to carry the rain. Every other page repeats the stanza of Flash! Kaboom! A summer storm is on its way.” This builds confidence in early readers as they progress in the story. Once all the critters have collected their rain, they join together to fill their new pool. A swim party begins with all praising God for the summer storm.

The illustrations are soft and hazy, reflective of a hot day in the desert. Parents will find Psalm 9:1 quoted on the copyright page: “I will be glad and full of joy because of you. Most High God, I will sing praise to you.”

What I Like: I like the creative twist at the end. I believed the animals were gathering drinking water; a swim party offers a fun close to the book. The text is large and clear, perfect for beginning readers.

What I Dislike: It just didn’t strike a chord with me. The illustrations are nondescript, almost blurry. The Christian content seemed an afterthought rather than the point of the story.

Overall Rating: Ho-hum.

Age Appeal: 4-8

Publisher Info: Zonderkidz, 2008; ISBN: 9870310717416; Paperback; $3.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $2.99!
Or buy it from Amazon.com for $3.99.

Special Info: See our reviews of other books in this series.

No comments: