Saturday, November 7, 2009

My Giant Fold-Out Book: Christmas

My Giant Fold-out Book: Christmas has become my children's new favorite Christmas book. Written by Tracy Harrast, the text is broken into five mini-stories: God Sends an Angel to Mary, The Long Journey to Bethlehem, No Room in the Inn, Angels Bring Good News and Wise Men Visit the New King.

Readers lift a full-page flap within each chapter to reveal another picture and the second half of the that story. Each tells, in five to eight short paragraphs, its portion of the Nativity story. Bible references are provided throughout the book.

The illustrations by Paula Doherty feature gentle cartoon characters and vibrant colors. Her attractive artwork covers the front and back of every flap.

What I Like: Everything! The text is biblically accurate. My kids love the illustrations. They also like that the flaps are big (full-page size) and open in different directions each time. I like the quality book design. While not boardbook thickness, the pages are glossy, strong and sturdy, perfect for rough and sticky preschool fingers.

What I Dislike: Nothing.

Overall Rating: Excellent

Age Appeal: 3-5

Publisher Info: Concordia Publishing House, 2008; ISBN: 075861425X; Hardback; $13.49

Buy it Now at Amazon.com for $11.47!



Bookmark and Share

No comments: