Monday, January 19, 2009

All God's Critters


All God's Critters brings a song by Bill Staines to book form. The song, actually titled "All God's Critters Have a Place in the Choir," describes all sorts of animals singing and clapping and praising the Lord. Coupled with illustrations by Kadir Nelson, the text translates into a zany stage production.
One page toward the back of the book folds out to a four-page spread. Also at the back of the book, readers find the complete song with written music.
What I Like: I LOVE the illustrations! Kadir Nelson is one of my favorites; his work in this volume lives up to my expectations: vibrant, colorful, life-like, expressive ... absolutely striking. Also, the size of the book is great. It's large enough to read over two or three laps. My kids enjoy pointing out their favorite animals and making the appropriate praise noises.
What I Dislike: I wish the book included a CD. Not everyone can read music; without a CD or music download, turning the text into a tune can be difficult.
Overall Rating: The quality is Excellent, but without a CD or audio download, I have to rate it Very Good.
Age Appeal: 3-5, but I think older kids might enjoy it as well.
Publisher Info: Simon & Schuster, 2009; ISBN: 0689869592; Hardback; $16.99
Buy it Now from Christianbook.com for $12.99!
Or buy from Amazon.com for $11.55.
Special Info: See our reviews of other books featuring this illustrator.









No comments: