Monday, September 15, 2008

Tweaky and Isaac

Tweaky and Isaac is a retelling of the story of Abraham and Isaac that is found in Genesis 22:1-19. Tweaky is a hummingbird that is rescued by the biblical character of Isaac, and goes on adventures with him.

One day, Isaac goes with his father, Abraham, to sacrifice on top of the hill. Tweaky goes along and is alarmed when he realizes that Abraham intends to sacrifice his own son at the command of God. In this book, which is written in rhyme, your child will experience one of the greatest examples of faith and willingness to sacrifice:

Tweaky says, "This father and son will never forget. Their lesson gives us good advice. They teach us today God's word to obey, which is better than sacrifice."

What I Like: This is a sweetly written book. It teaches children that obeying God is paramount. I also like it that the piano music to a song that Tweaky sings is at the back of the book.

What I Dislike: I started reading this to my daughter, and ended up stopping because I'm not sure how comfortable I am with introducing her to this story in such a way yet. There is a picture in the book where Abraham is tearfully holding a knife over his son, and I'd rather her not have these images in her head without completely understanding the significance of the story. The book is written in rather awkward rhyme. I think I would have preferred if it were written in prose.

Overall Rating: Good.

Age Appeal: The publisher doesn't specify, but I'd say ages 4-8.

Publishing Info: Derek Press, 2007; ISBN:1596843160; Paperback, $10.95.


Special Info: You can check out the author's website here.




No comments: