Friday, August 22, 2008

Books We Wish Were in Print: Adam, Adam, What Do You See?


Adam, Adam, What Do You See? was written by the writing team of Bill Martin J. and Michael Sampson, who co-authored the popular children’s book, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? This book uses the same rhythmic verse as the original. The difference between the two books is Adam, Adam, What Do You See? has a Biblical theme, the original does not.

The books starts out like this: “Adam, Adam, what do you see? I see creation all around me?” The text continues in this manner using different people from the Bible, like Noah, Moses, Ruth, Peter and Paul (among others). Each rhyme is referenced with corresponding text from the Bible. For instance, the first one cites Genesis 2:4-25.

The illustrations by Cathie Felstead are bright, colorful and kid-friendly. They cover full-page spreads throughout the book.

What I Like: Everything! I like the idea of a book about the Bible that is also a book for early readers. What a great way to encourage young readers to read about the Bible. I also like the Bible references given at the end of each verse.

What I Dislike: Nothing.

Overall Rating: Excellent.

Age Appeal: None is given, so I’ll just list it as being appropriate for early readers of any age.

Publisher Info: Tommy Nelson, 2001; ISBN: 08449976146; Hardcover.



No comments: