Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sister For Sale: Biblical Values


Sister For Sale! is written in rhyming text by Michelle Medlock Adams and colorfully illustrated by Karen Stormer Brooks. Ahh, sibling rivalry! The little boy in this story (about ten years old) has asked God to help him sell his innocently energetic, pig-tailed, little sister, Ally Grace. He tells how annoying and mean she can be, then assures others she will be nice to them. He's ready to bargain with anyone interested in buying her.

"She's worth about 100 bucks, but I'll sell her for just two."

As he mentions all of the bad things Ally Grace is capable of, he begins to wonder what it would be like not having her around. After some thought, he begins to see the good she is capable of and changes his mind.

"If you love her, God, I guess I can love her too."

From the "I Can Read!" collection, level 1.

What I Like: Although this is fiction, it holds a true message. Children often wish they were an only child. There is one Bible verse quoted from the New International Readers Version on the first page of the book.

Both my daughters, ages 10 and 11, liked this book.

What I Dislike: God is mentioned twice in this book. Once, in the beginning, and then at the end. At first, it appears the young boy is asking God for help. Later, it's clear he is asking God to help him do a terrible thing. The little boy doesn't turn to God for good. I think the author should have taken the opportunity to create a good relationship between God and the little boy. Maybe there should have been an adult in the picture helping the older brother understand he needs to ask God to help him cope with his sister. It's cute, comical, and even made me laugh, but I would not consider it to be a children's Christian book.

Age Appeal: 4 to 6

Overall Review: Good.

Publishing Info: Zonderkidz; 2002, 2007: ISBN: 0310714699




No comments: