Sunday, April 27, 2008

Good Night God



Good Night God, written by Holly Bea, reminds me of the classic children’s nighttime book, Good Night, Moon. The only real difference between the two is that Good Night God has a religious slant to it.

In the book, which is written in verse, a young boy ends his day by saying good night to the things around him. He starts off by saying, “Good night, God, the day is done. Good night, birds. Good night, sun.” He says good night to the sky, and the trees, and the squirrels and other things in his world. The words “Good night, God,” are sprinkled throughout the text, as well as at the end of the book.

The illustrations, done by Kim Howard, are also reminiscent of Good Night, Moon, with the bright, bold primary colors. But Good Night God includes drawings of a young boy interacting with his world, rather than just illustrations of inanimate objects.

What I Like: I like having this religious alternative for a goodnight book. It’s a great way to introduce young children to the idea of bedtime devotions.

What I Dislike: Again, I debated with myself as to whether or not to mention the one thing I don’t like about this book. But, again, I chose to tell you. On the next-to-the-last page it says: “But now it’s time to sleep and dream of rocket ships and fairy queens.” Because this is a book where a child is saying “Good night” to God and mostly to the things God made (like the sky, and the trees, and the squirrels), I think it would have been more appropriate for the child to dream of something other than “fairy queens,” which, of course, are fantasy creatures. Just a thought.

Overall Rating: Very good.

Age Appeal: 4-8.

Publisher Info: HJ Kramer, 2000; ISBN: 0915811847; Hardcover: $15.00.



No comments: